Monday, July 26, 2010

Up, Up, and Away

So yesterday, while trying to seal a leaky sunroof, I was the victim of many low-level flybys. My harrasser was a bluebird. I figured a nest was nearby and the bird was just being protective, so I relocated and went about my fruitless attempt to prevent water from seeping into my car.

Needless to say, I was right about the bird. This morning I took my dogs for a walk, and there was a baby bird, hopping and fluttering his way around my backyard. I'm sure mom was nearby watching, but she gave the youngster some space. I thought about how scary it must be for this tiny bird to be in this huge world. Here I was, short by most accounts but absolutely massive to this bird, along with 2 lunging dogs who wanted nothing more than to see how yummy the bird was. But it paid us no special attention. It hopped and fluttered, occasionally watching us as we walked nearby. Seeing the bird out there on its own, for some reason, made me remember a conversation I had last week.

Have you ever noticed how everything today is about "the children". I don't have children, yet I am in a world where people are constantly worried about kids and what they see (or "might" see) and what they do. People are so paranoid about the prospect of children seeing something they shouldn't. Why can't parents be more like the bird? Why do we have to coddle kids these days? I'm sure people have always focused on "the children", but back when I played T-Ball, not every single kid who wore a uniform was given an award at the end of the year. That happens now apparently. They give "extra special" awards to those who come in first place, but even the Bad News Bears, in today's day and age, would get a certificate of some sort.

Why is this? How is this cultivating any sort of work ethic or drive? When kids display a sense of entitlement, why should anyone be surprised? They don't, on their own, think that they automatically deserve something for showing up; they are trained to be that way by foolish parents, coaches, administrators, etc. This is an age where, so I've heard, some schools don't allow teachers to use red pens when grading papers because it may damage a child's psyche. Seriously? This is a joke, right?

Kids are handled as fragile little objects, like a Faberge Egg or something so precious that it can't be tainted. Meanwhile, they curse, skip school, don't do homework, stay out after the streetlights come on....they do everything that WE did (and more). So who or what are we trying to protect them from? Being a productive member of society? Being a good worker who doesn't NEED a reward in order to do a job...nevertheless a good job.

I don't understand the mentality of people today and their desire to make everything about the kids. Is it wrong for a child to fail school or get a bad grade? Doesn't failing help the child to see that he needs to put forth effort to succeed. Why do parents review their kid's homework? Isn't that the job of the teacher? If little Johnny didn't do his work, he should be penalized IN SCHOOL for it. If he performs poorly on his homework, he should be made to suffer the consequences....just like we did. But not today. Today, parents sit down and DO THE HOMEWORK. Ridiculous if you ask me.

I think parents should be a little more like the mother bird, protective but keeping some distance between themselves and their offspring. Let your kid fall and scrape his knee without you standing at the ready with hand sanitizer. Let your kid earn a "C" and learn how to earn an "A". Let your kid hop and flutter about....eventually he will learn to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment